Year of Establishment: 2011
- M.Phil (Part Time and Full Time)
- Ph.D. (Part Time and Full Time)
English Language Lab: 1
No of classrooms : 5
Department Library: 1
Value Added Courses
- Grammar Box English Hub, Coimbatore.
Mobile : 7373265018
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile : 8137864675
University Rank Details
|1||V||Mithun Leo James||M.A.English||2014-2016|
|3||I||Sindhmol K Nair||M.A.English||2018-2020|
|4||VIII||Ardra R Das||B.A.English||2017-2020|
|5||VI||Sruthy Sundaran||M.A English||2019-2021|
- Department of English organized a guest lecture on “Prominence of Communication Skills in the college premises on 3rd May at 2 pm. Dr. G. Hemalatha, Head and Assistant Professor, Department of English, VLB Janakiammal College of Arts and Science, Coimbatore. She explained in detail the Prominence of Communication Skills through various aspects such as: listening, reading, writing, expressing ideas, learning technology etc. She also urged the students to know about Verbal and Non Verbal Communication and gave several examples how to improve communication skills by answering simple questions, grammar with fun stories that would sound exactly like native English speakers.
- On 9th of December 2021 The Department of English organized a poetry writing competition in connection with John Miltion’s birthday. More than 40 students from various colleges participated in the competition. Select poems were awarded with cash prizes and certificates.
- In connection with national communal harmony week, the department of English, Sree Narayana Guru College has visited the Government High School Chavadi to give awareness on communal harmony and conducted intra- school competitions for school students. Mr Thiyagu .K Assistant Professor of English gave an introductory speech and shared the importance of NCH which is observed form 19th to 25 November. Every Indian should maintain the harmony by showing their love towards every individual equally, irrespective of their Caste, Color Creed and religion. At the end of the speech students were asked to shake hand to their classmates to express the equality. Following the day competitions for students were organized according to their age group Students of 1st to 5th standard happily participated in rhymes recitation. Students of 6th to 10th actively participated in poem writing and oration on the topic “Humanity”. They were also prepared charts and presented it later on.Later, Head mistress of Government High School distributed the prize to the winners.
- The Resource Person was Dr.Narasingaram Jayashree, Assistant Professor of English,PSGR Krishnammal College for Women, Coimbatore on “Yound adult fiction: A perspective” on 26-08-201, 12 PM. She started her presentation by exploring Prominent writers with their theme of writing Fiction. She explained the characteristics of Young Adult Fiction through Best on YA, recent Trends, Fantasy, Mystery and Thriller in History and Science. Further, she explained Dystopian – Dry and Contemporary – Holes in Fiction. Finally, she concluded explaining facts and Theories & Approaches in Fiction.
- The Resource Person was Mr.R.Prasath, Founder Dhronaccharyar – An Edutech Platform, Coimbatore on “Learn unlearn and relearn” on 18-08-2021, 12.30 PM. He gave a detailed presentation on “Learn: Acquire Knowledge of something by study, Unlearn: Experience the sense of growth and progress (ie) Keep updated and Relearn: Learn again by taking notes by hand and ask questions and actively listen to the answers”. He motivated the students how to innovate: Power of Compounding, Improving Mental Health and the Value of Time . The students involved themselves how to stick on those principles to attain Success.
- The Resource Person was Ms. B.S.Anjali , Deputy Manager – Learning and Development Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore on “Impactful communication through rich vocabulary” on 13-08-2021, 11 AM. She gave a detailed Presentation on the Impactful Communication through a Rich Vocabulary by explaining the Structural Analysis of many words in language for better communication and bolsters the ability to grasp ideas to think logically for a successful profession. She added how to build a powerful vocabulary through extensive everyday reading, using mnemonics, using dictionary and Practice. She motivated the students to make words by the combination of different parts, namely: Roots, Prefixes and Suffixes for better comprehension.
- On the 6 of August 2021 Department of English, Sree Narayana Guru College organized a state level webinar on Feminism: Aesthetics and Realities..The chief guest Dr. Divya. C, Assistant professor of English, Nirmala College for Women, Coimbatore delivered the special lecture on the topic. She shared the experience of realities through literature in feminism. She suggested students to develop their skills in aesthetics.
- The Department of English organized a State level Webinar on “Literary Theories and Approaches”on 5th August through Google meet at 10 am. The Resource Person was Ms.I. Yasmine, Head & Assistant Professor of English Department, Micheal Job College of Arts and Science for Women, Sulur, Coimbatore. She gave a detailed presentation on Literary Theories and Approaches by stating Aristotle’s quotes: “Everything is an Art of Imitation”. She explained that Criticism is the practice of judging the merits and faults of something that can occur in any area of human life. She paved a new direction to the Students by explaining Literary Theories in many areas such as: Formalism, Structuralism, Deconstruction, Marxism, New Historicism, Feminism & Gender Studies, Psychoanalytic Criticism, Post Colonialism, Cultural Studies and Eco – Criticism.
- The Department of English organized a State level Webinar on “Self – Attributes for Powerful Communication” on Monday, 2nd August through Google meet at 11am.The Resource Person was Mr.J.Aungston, Assistant Professor of English Department, Panimalar Engineering College, Chennai.He gave a detailed presentation on the Powerful Communication by explaining the Four Iconic Tools of Communication ( Intelligence, CharismaticPersonality, Choice of Words & Emotional Touch). He narrated a story of a king to develop one’s attitude in attributing Powerful. Communication. Finally, he motivated the students quoting”Knowing others is Intelligence whereas Knowing Ourselves is Wisdom”.
- Department of English conducted a Faculty Development Program on 24th July at 11am successfully. Guest lecture was given by Dr.K. Ganesh Muthuram, Assistant Professor,Department of English, PSG College of Arts and Science, Coimbatore, on “English Learning 360 Degrees”. He explained the importance of English through which one can be a better person that highlights one’s profile, positively. He showered number of questions for which one can find answers through number of websites (ie) in and around 360 degrees to improve one’s listening, speaking skills by improving their vocabulary and grammar through various worksheets and exercises in those websites. He also helped the students and faculty members to find reliable online sources like Google Assistant, Akinator, CBC, VoA, ELLLO, English Conversation Practices to improve their ability in English language by running certain videos. Thus he concluded saying that if one wanted to go around Learning English in 360 degrees, they should keenly Listen, Understand and Practice.
- Department of English organized a webinar on the topic The rise and growth of Indian English Literature on 20.7.2021 at 4.00 pm. The Resource person , Ms Sreelakshmi Arun, is an alumna of our college..She is currently working as an Assistant Professor at Sree Gokulam College, Balussery, Kozhikode, Kerala..The webinar was conducted through Google meet..The resource person narrated the origin and growth of Indian English Literature..Students and faculty members of various colleges attended 5hw webinar..The webinar was presided over by Dr M Ilangovan, Principal, SNGC.
- Department of English organized a student awareness programme on the topic Suicidal Tendency and Lack of Mental Health in Adolescents today at 4.00 pm..The resource person Dr Yamini Balakrishnan, Medical Officer, Govt Ayurveda College, Trivandrum narrated the reasons of suicide among the youth. She also spoke about how we can save adolescents from depression. The program was conducted through Google meet.
- Department of English conducted a student development program on 14.7.2021 on the topic Fight for Fitness .The way to be fit during a pandemic. The resource person was Ms .Vinothamalar.A, Fitness trainer and Karate master, Coimbatore. The program was conducted through Google meet at 4.00 pm on 14.07.2021.
- Department of English conducted a student development program on 12.7.2021 at 4.pm..The program was conducted through Google meet. The topic of the program was Critical Thinking..The way to Good Living..The resource person was Mr Roy Xavier, Head, Department of English, Devamatha College, Kannur. He gave detailed explanation on Critical Thinking and why it is important for students to develop this skill.
- Department of English conducted a webinar on the topic Importance of Mental Health During The Pandemic. The resource person was Dr Abhishek Nair, MD, Consultant Psychiatrist, Mar Baselios Medical Mission Hospital, Ernakulam. He explained how people are affected with Covid 19. It has changed the society completely. People are leading a life of stress , locked up in their homes without any social contacts. Many people show suicidal tendency. The resource person also spoke about the remedies for this stressful life..One can engage in physical exercises, yoga etc.
- The Department of English organized a webinar on 21-03-2021 in connection with World Poetry Day. The resource person was Miss Amritha Varshini, our third year ug student..She has published a collection of poems, From A Maiden’s Inkpot. She shared her experiences in publishing her book. The program was conducted through Google meet at 11 am today.
- The department of English conducted a webinar on the topic Empowered Women on 8th March 2021.The resource person was Dr K Nagarathinam, Associate Professor and Head, Department of English, RVS College, Coimbatore..She emphasized on the importance of self confidence a woman should gain in order to lead a happy and successful life both personally and professionally. The program was conducted through Google meet. The students and faculty members of the department of English attended the webinar.
- As a part of Endowment Lecture Series , Sree Narayana Guru College, Coimbatore, Department of English conducted a webinar on 13.02.2021 at 11.00 am. Dr.C.J.Sofia, Assistant Professor, Department of English Hindustan College of Arts and Science , Coimbatore gave a lecture on the topic “ Gender construction in fairy tales”.She defined the role of women in different fairy tales such as Frozen, Ice Women etc. She described gender equality through her lecture.
- Department of English conducted a Student Development program at 11:00 am on 9.1.2021 successfully. Guest lecture was given by Mr. HARIHARAN VAYANAI SURESHBABU M.B.A., L.L.B, District President, International Legal Rights and Human Justice Council, Coimbatore, on special topic,”Human Rights”. He clearly explained about the moral principles and how to acquire fundamental rights. He also explained how Human Rights came out after II World War. He insisted that everyone should have knowledge about laws. Each one has right to ask questions against Human Abuses. Furthermore, he explained: Rights to Privacy, Rights to Nationality, Rights to Freedom, Rights to Education, Rights to Equality and so on. Moreover he concluded by saying that through proper order, we can enjoy all our freedom and belongings.
- Department of English conducted a webinar today (19/12/2020) at 11:00 am successfully. Guest lecture was given by Ms.A.S.Sukanya, Assistant Professor of English Department from SRM Arts and Science College, Chennai, on special topic, ” Migration and Diaspora in Literature “. She wonderfully explained about the Push and Pull factors in Migration, Typesof Migration. She also quoted some examples from various characters in “The Shadow Lines”novel written by Amitav Ghosh through which he had explored the idea that borders force constrictive national and religious identities of people. She clearly pointed out the differences between Diaspora and Migration, that is: how people have scattered in different parts of the world (Diaspora) and how they move to different areas in search of settlement (Migration).
- Department of English conducted the inauguration of English Association today (07/11/2020) at 10:30 am., successfully. Inaugural address was given by Ms.G.Bhuvneswari,the founder of, “Haha Learning” on special topic, ” Life and Literature “. She wonderfully connected Life with Literature through Keats’ poem, Ode to a Grecia Urn”, saying, “Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter”. Moreover, she cultivated an excellent relationship of connectivity to Universe not only to the students but also to all staff.
- The department of English organized a webinar on the topic Effective Communication on 28th August. The resource person was Ms Geetha Nair , language trainer.. She belongs to Grammarbox , English Language Training Institute. Coimbatore. She emphasized the importance of effective communication..Around 100 students participated in the webinar.
- Department of English organized a webinar on “Content Writing” on the 29th of July 11 a.m. The resource person Midhuna Dhanesh Kumar, Content Writer and Social Media Content Creator, Talent Edutainment, Kochi, an alumnus of English department had talked about content, creative writing and emphasized the role and importance of English language learning and usage in the present scenario.
- Department of English organized a literary quiz on Shakespeare on 2nd July 2020.
- The Department of English organized a webinar on “Social Media” on 15-05-2020. Resource Person: Mr. A. Manoj Kumar skilled video jockey and Mr. A. Karthik Gonsalves ,a veteran social activist. Both of them stressed the importance of social media.
- The Department of English organised an online essay competition on the topic “Quarentine Diaries” on 08-05-2020 for the faculty and students.
- Department of English conducted valedictory function on 07-03-2020, 10.30 AM. Venue: Vivekananda Hall. Chief Guest: Dr. N. Jayasree, Asst. Prof. Department of English PSGR Krishammal college for women delivered the velidictory address and she talked about literature and the nature with reference of many books which delt with nature.
- Department of English Organized A One Day National Seminar on 07-02-2020, 10.30 AM. Chief Guest: Mr. T. Viji, Assistant Professor of English, Kristu, Jayanti College, Bangalore delivered the keynote address. He delivered the speech on the topic “Mass Communication in Modern Era”. He described the advantages of Mass Medias like Newpaper, Radio, Television and also about advantages and disadvantages of social medias like Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and whatsup. He also discussed different theories such as Magic Bullet Theory in Mass Medias. The second session began at 12.30 pm with the speech of Dr.P.Malathy, Assistant Professor, Government Arts College, and Coimbatore on the topic “The Role of Advertisement in Journalism”. She described the origin of Advertisement, types of advertisement and the influence of advertisement on people. She also highlighted the Modern Advertisement and its advantages and also disadvantages.
- Department of English conducted an Extension Activity on 28-09-2019 at C.G. Pudhur – The Debate on Democracy – Personal and Community Growth. As a part of the debate the students of our department and the people of the village actively participated in the Debate.
- Organized a special lecture on Communication Skills on 07-08-2019. Chief Guest: Ms. Vijaya V, Language Trainer delivered a special talk on “Communication Skills”. She began her lecture by stating the importance of communicating in English. She taught the students various ways through which they can develop their language skills. She made her lecture interesting with some activities.
- PG and Research Department of English celebrated the birthday of the English poet Alfred Lord Tennyson on 06.08.2019. Dr. A. J. Manju, Associate Professor and Head, Department of English, will delivered a special lecture on Alfred Lord Tennyson . In connection with the celebration, the department planned to conduct an Intra departmental event, Essay writing conducted. Time : 10.30 am. Venue: HS2
- PG and Research Department of English celebrated the birthday of the eminent English novelist and poet Percy Bysshe Shelley and the French short story writer Guy De Maupassant on 5th August 2019. As part of the celebration the department conducted Intra departmental events such as Pen a Poem and Paint the Poet. Dr. A. J. Manju, Associate Professor and Head, Department of English delivered a special lecture on Percy Bysshe Shelley.
- Organized the commemorative lecture on 19th July 2017. Chief Guest: Professor S. Veeraraghavan, Director,Winners Academy. The chief guest enlightened the students on the topic “Communication is the Way of Life”. He began his lecture by stating the importance of preparation. He taught the students various ways through which they can enrich their vocabulary.
- Organized Inaugural function (MUSE) on 19-07-2019, 1.30 PM. Chief Guest: Mr. J. S. Sukumar, Managing Director, Udhavi Educational Consultancy Pvt Ltd, Coimbatore. Venue : Conference Hall.
- Organised Valedictory Function on 05-03-2019, 10.30 AM. Chief Guest: Dr.Ruby Christie , Assistant Professor, Chikkanna Government College, Tirupur.
- Organized One Day National Seminar on “Language, Literature, Applied Linguistics” on 26-02-2019, 10.30 AM. Chief Guest(s): Dr. (Prof.) C. Muralidara Kannan, PG & Research Department of English, Govt. Arts College, Coimbatore and Prof. Stephen Irudayaraj, PG & Research Department of English, Kristu Jeyanthi College, Bangalore. Venue: Vivekananda Hall.
- Organized an intra-departmental Drama Fest on 22-02-2019, 1.30 PM. Venue: Seminar Hall.
- Organized an inter-departmental poem writing competition in connection with International Mother Tongue day “don’t let your mother tongue die” on 21-02-2019. Venue: HS2.
- Organized State Level Workshop on “Post Structuralism – An Overview” on 02-02-2019, 11.30 AM. Chief Guest: Dr. S. Diravidamani, Periyar University college of Arts and Science, Mettur. Venue: Conference Hall.
- Organized Flavors of Literature on 11-01-2019. Venue: HS2.
- Organized The Wild berry Fest on 07-01-2019. Venue: HS2.
- Organized Intradepartmental “Best writer” competition on 02-01-2019. Venue: HS2.
- Organized Intradepartmental competition “Just a Moment -an Extempore” on 28.12.2018. Venue: HS2.
- Organized Workshop on “Effective Classroom Communication” for new faculties on 20.12.2018. Chief Guest: Dr. G. Bhuvaneswari, Asst Prof, Govt Arts and Science College, Coimbatore.
- Organized Workshop on “What is the difference between journalism and mass media” on 11-12-2018. Chief Guest: Mr. Karthick Gonsalvez, Former Assistant Professor, Hindustan College of arts and science, Cbe.
- Intra department news reading competition – Epeolatry 2018. on 15/10/2018. 1.30 PM.
Workshop on ‘’Journey from Absurd Theatre to Third Theatre’’ on 10/10/2018. Resource Person: Ms. K.Resmi, M.A (Phd),Assistant Professor,
PG & Research Department of English, Sri Ramakrishna Arts & Science College,
- Inaugural function and guest lecture on “English for Excellence: Why We Study Literature?” on 07.08.2018, 10.30 AM. Chief Guest: Dr. Diwakar Thomas Associate Professor of English, Kongunadu Arts and Science College, Coimbatore.
On 30.06.2017 the Department celebrated Literary Day on the topic “Globe Theatre Day”. Students delivered seminars on this topic.
- Valedictory Function of PG and Research Department of English, SNGC The PG and Research Department of English at Sree Narayana Guru College, Chavadi, conducted its valedictory function on 02/03/2018. Mr. K.A. Pankaj Kumar, Joint Secretary, SNGET presided over the function and Dr. K.V. Surendran, Principal, SNGC felicitated the gathering. The Chief Guest Dr. Suja Mathew, Assistant Professor, NGM College, Pollachi delivered a lecture on Literary Criticism. The function came to an end with the prize distribution for the winners of various competitions held in the department.
- A Guest Lecture was conducted by PG & Research Department of English on 8/2/2018. The Chief Guest of the day was Dr. B. Balamayuranathan, Asst. Professor , SNR Sons College. Ms.
Anjana V.C welcomed the gathering. Ms. Christy Evangeline introduced the Chief Guest. The Chief Guest delivered a lecture on “ Interview Skills.” Ms. Rineesha. M delivered the vote of
- PG and Research Department of English organized a Guest Lecture on 2.2.2018 at 10:15 am. The Principal, Dr. K.V. Surendran presided over the function and the Chief Guest, Mr. M.A. Inba Vignesh delivered a lecture on Creative Writing.
- Extension activity on 29.06.2017. Lecture on Communicative English and Dialogue Practice to the final year students of EEE and Mechanical Engineering students of Sree Narayana Guru Polytechnic College, Coimbatore.
- Extension activity on 30.06.2017. Spoken English Coaching (Action Songs, Rhymes and Basic Sentence formation) for the primary students of Government School, C.G. Pudur, K.G. Chavadi, Coimbatore.
- Extension activity on 07.07.2017. Basic Grammar for the primary students of Government School, C.G. Pudur, K .G .Chavadi, Coimbatore.
- Extension activity on 11.07.2017. A rally on World Population Day was organized by the students and faculty members.
- Extension activity on 13.07.2017. Communication Skills and Interview techniques to the final year students of Mechanical Engineering students of Sree Narayana Guru Polytechnic College, Coimbatore.
- Literary Day Celebration on 30.06.2017. Seminar on “Globe Theatre Day”.
- Guest Lecture titled “English as a Career” on 13.07.2017. Chief Guest: Mr. E. K. Girisan, Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science.
- On 01.08.2016 the Inauguration of the Association was organised. The Chief guest was Mr K S Suresh, SAP Consultant.
- A Guest lecture on “Activity-Based Language Learning ” was organised on 26.08.2016.
- An Intra-departmental competition “Cresta “was organised on 28.12.2016.
- A Guest lecture on “The study of poetry ” was organised on 10.02.2017.
- The Valediction of the department was conducted on 10.03.2017 with a guest lecture by Dr Dravidamani on the topic “The importance of English language in the field of Education”.
- A visit to an old an age home at Ganapathy, Coimbatore was organised on 14.03.2017 as part of the extension activity.
- A rally was organised on 08.03.2017 highlighting “Women Empowerment”.
University Rank: PG : 1