Year of Establishment: 1995
- B.Sc. Microbiology
- M.Sc. Microbiology
- M.Phil. Microbiology
- Ph.D. Microbiology
Value Added Courses Offered:
- Diploma in Clinical Research and Medical coding
- Mushroom technology
- Food quality assessment & Food analytical chemistry
- Diploma in Clinical Research and Medical coding
- Diploma in Molecular techniques
No. of Labs: 3
No. of Classrooms: 7
Research Lab.: 1
UNIVERSITY RANK HOLDER 2022
UNIVERSITY RANK HOLDER 2021
UNIVERSITY RANK HOLDER 2020
|1||V||Ms.JERIN JOSE||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||1996-1999|
|2||VII||Ms.RESHMA VENUGOPAL||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||1996-1999|
|4||VII||MAYA MOHAN||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||1997-2000|
|5||VI||SANGEETHA MENON||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||1999-2002|
|7||VII||JASMINE KURIAN||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2000-2003|
|8||VII||SUDHARMA K.G||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2001 -2004|
|9||X||FOUSIA.T||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2001 -2004|
|10||III||KAVITHA RAVINDRANATH||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2002 -2005|
|11||V||PARVATHY.N||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2002 -2005|
|12||IX||SOUMYA.P.T||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2002 -2005|
|13||IV||NEETHU GEORGE||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2003 -2006|
|14||X||RAMYA NAIR||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2003 -2006|
|15||III||MEGHA KRISHNAN T.R||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2006 -2009|
|16||II||AATHIRA.M||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2007 -2010|
|17||V||SHREELAKSHMI NAIR||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2007 – 2010|
|18||VI||SUSHMIJA.S||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2007 -2010|
|19||VII||SHAMEEJA.I||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2007 -2010|
|20||IX||DIVYA.M||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2007 -2010|
|21||IX||NEETHU K.V||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2007 -2010|
|22||V||ANU K.S||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2008 -2011|
|23||VI||SRUTHI P.V||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2008 -2011|
|24||IV||NITHIYA.S||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2010- 2013|
|25||VII||ARCHANA.P||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2010- 2013|
|26||IX||SRUTHY M.RAJAN||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2010- 2013|
|27||X||SHANI K.JOHN||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2010- 2013|
|28||VIII||SANJANA DAS||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2011- 2014|
|29||II||SMIJA M.NAIR||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2012 -2015|
|30||IV||JISHITHA N.J||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2012 -2015|
|31||VIII||NISHA K.RAJU||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2012- 2015|
|34||VIII||SIBINA.K.T||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2013 -2016|
|35||IX||SHARMILA FARHANA.T||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2013 -2016|
|36||X||RESHMA.R||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2013 – 2016|
|41||II||KEERTHI C G||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2018-2021|
|42||IX||SHAHANA HASSAN||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2018-2021|
|43||II||MOOFIKA M||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2019-2022|
|45||V||GREESHMA T.L||BSc MICROBIOLOGY||2019-2022|
|2.||IX||Ms.RAMYA NAIR.M.T||MSc MICROBIOLOGY||2004-2006|
|3.||X||Ms.SHALI BALAKRISHNAN||MSc MICROBIOLOGY||2004-2006|
|5.||III||Ms.RAMYA NAIR||MSc MICROBIOLOGY||2006-2008|
|9.||IX||Ms.RUBEENA BEGUM.A||MSc MICROBIOLOGY||2008-2010|
|10.||II||Ms.MEGHA KRISHNAN.T.R||MSc MICROBIOLOGY||2009-2011|
|12.||III||Ms.JIPHY JOSE||MSc MICROBIOLOGY||2010-2012|
|27||I||SRUTHI MOHAN||MSc MICROBIOLOGY||2016-2018|
|31||VII||SNEHA R||MSc MICROBIOLOGY||2019-2021|
|32||VIII||ARYA K||MSc MICROBIOLOGY||2019-2021|
- The Department of Microbiology and Institution’s Innovation organized a two day workshop on the topic Water Quality Analysis in connection with ‘World Earth Day’ . Resource person Dr Hariprasad P, Industrial Consultant, gave hands on training to more than fifty students on chemical, physical and biological parameters of water quality analysis.
- The Department of Microbiology organized a one-day Institutional Visit on 09/04/2022 to the Department of Nanoscience And Technology, SRI RAMAKRISHNA ENGINEERING COLLEGE, Vattamalaipalayam, Coimbatore. The aim of the visit was to study various Instruments used in nano technology and applications of nanotechnology, an interdisciplinary field of science . Post Graduate students of the department of Microbiology participated in the program. On behalf of SREC, Dr.Moorthy Pichumani, Associate Professor and Head of the Department welcomed the gathering and explained the development of nano technology over the years and its involvement in various other fields. Dr.C. Narendhar, Assistant Professor, Nano Science And Technology and Ph.D scholar Pavithra has familiarisd the students to various instruments used for nanoparticles synthesis, characterization, coating and analysis such as Ball Milling unit, chemical and Physical Vapor Deposition units, Spin coater, ZETA Sizer, Photoluminescence Spectroscopy, UV-visible spectroscopy, FTIR, XRD and then other instruments such as Solar Simulator, Electrochemical Workstation, Atomic Force Microscope, Box Furnace and explained elaborately about the functioning . The session was very informative and overall, the visit was a great inspiration to the students. Post Graduate students who have studied theoretical Nanotechnology got benefitted from this real time experience.
- The Department of Microbiology organized a student development programme on 29.03.2022 at 1.00 PM through the online platform Microsoft teams. Dr .M.Ilangovan, Principal , presided over the function. Resource Person Dr.S.Vivekanandhan , Asst.Prof & Head Dept. of Microbiology, K S R College of Arts & Science for women, Thiruchengode, Tamilnadu delivered a talk on the topic “ HOW TO WRITE AN EFFECTIVE RESEARCH PAPER ”. In his comprehensive talk he explained all the elements of scientific writing. Do’s and Don’ts of research writing for the acceptance of articles in indexed journals also was mentioned.
- The Department of Microbiology organized a webinar on 16.03.2022 through the online platform Microsoft Teams at 6 PM. Resource Person Dr.C.T.Anitha, Associate Professor and Head, Postgraduate and Research Department of Botany, Nattika spoke on the topic: “Wonder World of Healing Plants”. In her talk, she briefly explained the taxonomy and identification of plants.She also elaborated on the phytochemistry and research significance of ” Dashapushpa” , “Dashamoola” and other remediating plants such as Neem, azolla, Banyan tree etc.Relevance of Pteridophytes and Bryophytes was also discussed. Students and staff clarified their research doubts in phytochemistry and plant metabolism.Staff and students of the department benefited from this talk.
- The department of Microbiology in association with Eco club organized a Webinar on 15.02.2022 at 1.30 PM through the online platform Microsoft Teams . Resource person Dr. A. Vijayakumar, Researcher and entrepreneur, spoke on the topic ” Vermitech -A way to sustain Agriculture”. In his talk he elaborated how the degradable waste can be used for entrepreneurship through vermicomposting. His explicit speech included different methods of vermicomposting, plant growth promoting nutrient contents in vermicompost and vermi wash and different features of vermicompost such as protection of the ecosystem, reduction of biological magnification and its uses. Staff and students of various institutes from Tamil Nadu and Kerala participated, interacted and benefited from the same.
- The department of Microbiology organized a National Webinar on 27.01.2022 at 6 PM through the online platforms Microsoft Teams and YouTube streaming. Resource person Dr.Ajith Madhavan, Associate Professor, Amrita School of Biotechnology, Amritapuri, Kollam, Kerala spoke on the topic ” Apprenticeship with Nature”. In his talk he elaborated on Biomimetics with enthralling examples. He emphasized on how nature acts as a mentor, measure and model for every problem of modern society. Staff and students of various institutes from Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Haryana, West Bengal, Muscat, Kuwait, Kenya and Nigeria participated and benefited from the same.
- In connection with National Communal Harmony week, the department of Microbiology conducted a group activity of plug card making for the B.Sc students on 30.11.2021. In order to inculcate teamwork, self expression and creativity on communal harmony, the topics given for plug card making were National Integrity and Unity in diversity for communal harmony. Students participated in the activity with enthusiasm and took photos with their plug cards in the college premises.
- Department of Microbiology organized an online extension activity, “Ask to Doctor – Know about Pneumonia” in connection with World Pneumonia Day on November 12th, 2021 through the online plat forms Microsoft teams and You Tube. Dr.Jayamohan Unnithan M D and Dr. Nandagopal Velayuthaswamy, consultant pulmonologists, Institute of Lung Care & Research, Hindusthan Hospital, Coimbatore clarified the doubts and queries of the participants. People from Tamil Nadu and Kerala actively participated in the event. Around hundred members in Microsoft teams and more than 250 members joined through You Tube. Many queries regarding Pneumonia and other lung related issues were discussed in Tamil, Malayalam and English. The public open forum conducted between 6 PM – 7.15 PM.
- The Department of Microbiology conducted a Webinar on 01.09.2021, 11 AM as a part of Sree Narayana Guru Commemorative Lecture Series – August – September 2021 through the online platform Microsoft Teams. Resource Person: Dr. M. Dwarakanath, Former Director, DSTE and Member Secretary, Puducherry Pollution Control Committee,Visiting Faculty – DESM, BDU spoke on the topic “Covid Prevention through Waste Management ” The webinar started with the historical aspects of waste management. In the speech microbial aspects of Covid waste management, SOP to be followed in various laboratories and precautions to be taken by students to avoid Covid infection were elaborated. The webinar emphasized on “Prevention is better than cure” was highly beneficial to the staff and students of the department.
- The department of Microbiology organized a webinar on 21.6.2021 at 3pm through Google Meet. Resource person: Dr Mohanasrinivasan V. Associate Professor and Placement coordinator, Department of Biomedical science, School of Biosciences and Technology ,VIT University , Vellore, spoke on the topic “Lactose intolerance and lactose free product development”. In his talk he elaborated on lactose intolerance, it’s clinical significance and industrial production of bacterial Beta Galactosidase as the remedy for the same. He explained the isolation and screening of the bacteria producing the enzyme, biochemical and molecular characterization, optimization, production and purification of the enzyme. He also explained lactose free product development. Students, research scholars and faculty of the department benefited from the event.
- The department of Microbiology organized a webinar on 28.6.2021 at 2pm through Google Meet. Resource person: Dr. R. Vijayaraghavan,Professor and Head & Dean (Bioscience) Nehru Arts and Science College,Coimbatore spoke on the topic “Current Perspectives of Mucor Mycosis”. In his talk he elaborated on Mucormycosis, an opportunistic fungal infection, causative agents, symptoms and current diagnostic methods. He also gave a brief account on White and Yellow fungal infection. Research aspects in Mucormycosis were discussed during Q&A session.
- The Department of Microbiology organized a Webinar on “Clot Buster Enzymes” on 14th February 2021 as a part of the ‘Sree Narayana Guru Endowment Lecture Series. Dr. C. Subathra Devi, Associate Professor Department of Biotechnology, School of Biosciences & Technology, Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT), Vellore, Tamilnadu acted as Resource Person. She elaborated on the National and International statistical data on cardiovascular disease and significance of Clot buster enzymes as therapeutic agent for the same.She emphasized on microbial fibrinolytic system and various microorganisms that produce fibrinolytic & thrombolytic enzymes and primary screening tests involved in its production.
- Department of Microbiology organized a webinar on 05.1.21 via Google Meet platform at 11am. Resource person Dr.S.Kalaiarasu, Professor of Microbiology, Faculty of Agriculture, Annamalai University, Chidambaram spoke on the topic “Novel Biotechnological Approach in Organic Agriculture”. In his talk, he highlighted on Organic farming at global and national level, hazards of chemical fertilizers, general prospects and certification process of organic fertilizers. A total of hundred participants including staff and students benefited.
- Department of Microbiology organized an innovative webinar on 15.12.20, at 2 pm through the online platform Google Meet. Faculty and Students of the department participated in the same. Resource person, Dr. P Srinivasan, Assistant Professor and Head, Department of Microbiology, Rathinam college of Arts and Science delivered the talk on the topic “Developing Innovative Microbiological Technologies to Tackle Antimicrobial Resistance”. He elaborated on antimicrobial resistance in Indian and International scenario. He also emphasized on the traditional and innovative technologies in determining the antimicrobial resistance.
- Microbiology Association was inaugurated on 03.11.2020 via Google Meet at 11 am. An international webinar followed with a special inaugural address was delivered by the chief guest Dr.Senthilkumar Balakrishnan, Associate Professor of Medical Microbiology, Haramaya University, Ethiopia. The webinar titled “Probiotics for Human Health started with what is Probiotics and elaborated on Probiotics food, characteristics sources, its effects on microflora of human body and their effect on our health.
- The Department of Microbiology organised a webinar on the Topic “Multifaceted Perceptions of Microorganisms in Environmental Sustainability” on 31st October, 2020 at 5 PM and through Google meet. Seventy six participants including Faculty and Students participated passionately. Dr. K Karthikeyan, Senior Scientist and Head, Gujarat Institute of Desert Ecology, Gujarat was the speaker for the event. He emphasized on the importance of the microorganisms on plant health and productivity focussing on the benefits of rhizosphere. He narrated how in Gujarat desert’s the multifaceted mechanisms had protected the environment. He had shed light onto the precise mode of action and ecophysiology of the multifaceted microorganisms. Question and answer session was followed after the resource person’s address.
- The Department of Microbiology organized a webinar on 16.05.2020. Resource Person: Dr. S. Dhiva, Assiatant professor and Head, Sree Narayana Guru College, Alathur, Palakkad, delivered the webinar on the topic “Decoding Covid-19. The webinar covered the entire aspects on Covid -19, including the structure, mechanism of infection and all pathogenisis process of Covid -19. The Webinar was conducted through Zoom.
- The Department of Microbiology organized a webinar on 15.05.20. Resource Person: Mr. Vishnurudra A.M, Freelance trainer, Chief Marketing Officer – IPRO, delivered the webinar on the topic “ The Third Eye: The cyber World”. He explained the risk of using Android devices and a comparison was done on Corona Virus and Computer virus. The Webinar was conducted through Zoom and E-certificates were provided to all the registered participants.
- The Department of Microbiology organized an International webinar on 14.05.20. Resource Person Dr. Gnanendra Shanmugam T, Assistant Professor (International Research Professor) Microbial Genomics Lab, Department of Biotechnology, Yeungnam Universitry, Gyeongsan, South Korea delivered the talk on “Metagenomics: Uncovering the Microbiome”. He elaborated on Microbiome, Metagenomic protocol and its applications in different fields. The Webinar was conducted through Zoom. Peoples from different parts of country participated in the same and E-certificates were provided to all the registered participants.
- Department of Microbiology conducted association valedictory function on 05.03.20 at 10.30AM in Vivekananda Hall. Chief Guest Dr.Kannan Thangavelu, HoD, Emergency medicine, Royal Care Super Speciality Hospital, Neelambur, Coimbatore delivered a seminar on “Practical aspects of Emergency medical condition” focused on the awareness and importance of emergency medicine along with chest compression, Artificial respiration to recover a patient from critical state. In addition he also highlighted on the tips to rescue accident casualties, snake bite, poison and seizure cases. Dr.T.M Ashraf, General Physician, City Medical Centre, K.G.Chavadi, delivered a lecture on “Current trends in Microorganisms and their resistance”.
- The department of Microbiology organized a National Conference MicroMeet’20” on 20.02.20.The chief Guest Dr. Surendra Gopal, Professor and Head , Department of Agricultural Microbiology, College of Horticulture, Kerala Agricultural University, Vellanikara, Thrissur, delivered the inaugural address and delivered the talk on “ Microbial Fertilizers – An eco friendly and cost – effective inputs for sustainable agriculture”. Dr R.Sathyamoorthy, special guest, delivered a lecture on “Nanoparticles and its applications” and Dr M.Ilangovan, Principal, presided over the function. Forty five participants presented papers and posters in their research areas. Best paper and poster was awarded.
- The Department of Microbiology in association with Science club organized “Micro.Sci.Expo” an exhibition exclusively for non science students on 14.02.2020 in the department of Microbiology. Chief Guest Dr. Meenatchi Sundaram, Associate Professor inaugurated the exhibition and Dr.M.Ilangovan presided over the function. More than seventy five exhibits including working models, still models and charts were included in the exhibition. The main focus of the exhibition was to provide an insight in to the scientific basis of day to day events. Students from all departments visited and benefited from the same.
- In connection with National Deworming Day, Dr.M.Thangavel, Professor and Head, department of Microbiology, delivered a special talk on the effects of Helminthic infection and deworming techniques on 10.02.2020 at Centre for Bioscience and Nanotechnology Research, Eachanari, Coimbatore. He spoke about Soil Transmitted Helminths and other parasitic infections and its risks, sources, mode of transmission, pathogenicity, diagnosis, treatment and prophylaxis. Current International and national status of the parasitic infection and significance of deworming in children of 1-14 years was also deliberated.
- To observe “International Leprosy Day”, the Department of Microbiology, organized a Seminar cum awareness camp entitled “Leprosy detection and Awareness camp” on 25.01.2020 at 10.30 am at K. G. Chavadi. Chief Guest: Mr. Rajkumar, Health Inspector, Primary Health Center, K. G. Chavadi, Coimbatore, explained about the source and complications of leprosy infection along with the treatment and prophylatic procedures. He also demonstrated how to physically identify a leprosy patient and highlighted on how to care a leprosy patient and support them for their happy living. The students were then taken into the chavadi village and had a field analysis on the detection of leprosy including the Anganvadi school childrens.
- The Department of Microbiology, conducted a Guest lecture on “Gynaecological issues” on 23.01.2020, at 10.30 AM in Microbiology Lab I. Resource person Ms. Saratha, Health Inspector, Primary Health Center, K. G. Chavadi, Coimbatore delivered the lecture focused on personal hygiene and gynec related issues.
- The Department of Microbiology, conducted an extension activity on “Importance of Nutritious Food and Personal Health” on 22.01.2020 at 2.00 PM in Government High School, K. G. Chavadi, Coimbatore. The staff members created awareness about nutritious foods to maintain healthy life.
- The Department of Microbiology organized a Seminar entitled “Cloning in Bacteria” on 09.01.2020, 2 PM. Chief Guest: Dr. R. Vijayaraghavan, Dean (Biosciences), Nehru Arts and Science College, Coimbatore. He delivered a lecture on difference between the clone and cloning and different methods involved in cloning. He also discussed in detail about screening procedures. Venue: Vivekananda Hall.
- The Department of Microbiology organized a Seminar on “Identification of fungi causing ocular infection” on 09-01-2020, 10.30 AM. Chief Guest: Dr. C. S. Shobana, Associate Professor, Department of Microbiology, PSG College of Arts and Science, Coimbatore. The lecture focused on eye infections, causative microorganisms, symptoms and identification of the sample by microbiological as well as molecular methods. She also discussed phenotypic and genotypic observation of ocular infection and differentiation of microorganisms by advanced method like phylogentic tree and sequencing and also other methods to compare the microorganisms. Venue: Vivekananda Hall.
- The Department of Microbiology conducted a seminar on “IPR and Patenting Procedures” on 19-09-2019, 10.30 AM. Chief Guset: Jothi Murugan, Proprietor, Invenire – patenting Agencies, Coimbatore. Venue: Vivekanada Hall
- PG and Research Department of Microbiology conducted a rally on “Awareness on Mosquito Control” in connection with World Mosquito Day on 20-08-19, 1.30 PM. Venue: K.G.Chavadi.
- PG & Research Department of Microbiology screened a documentary film on humanitarian Values for PG students in connection with World humanitarian day on 19.08.19, at 1.30 PM. Venue: Vivekanadha Hall.
- PG & Research Department of Microbiology conducted a photography competition in connection with World Photography Day on 19.08.19 in the department at 1.30 PM.
- PG & Research Department of Microbiology conducted Alumni Meet on 16.08.19, 11.30 AM.
- Organized Association Inaugural function and Guest Lecture on “Biofertilizers” on 14-08-2019, 10.30 AM. Chief Guest: Dr. N.Kannan, Former Professor & Head, Dept.of Microbiology, PSG College of Arts & Science, Coimbatore. Venue: Vivekananda Hall.
- The department conducted an international seminar on “Publications and Misconduct” on 05.08.2019,10.30AM.Chief Guest : Dr.P.Manikandan, Associate Professor, Dept. of Medical Sciences, Majmaah University, Majmaah, Kingdom of Suadi Arabia, Venue: Conference Hall.
- Organized Commemorative Lecture Series Lecture on “Microbial participation in Environmental Cleaning” on 31-07-2019, 10 AM. Chief Guest: Dr. P. Lakshmanaperumalsamy, Former Emeritus Professor, Dept.of Environmental Science, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore.
- The department in association with Tamil Nadu Police department has conducted an awareness rally on ‘Drug abuse’ on 27.09.2019 at chavadi Pudur. The Sub – Inspector Mr.Manoj delivered an eye opening speech on the ill effects of the drugs and its consequences.
- Signed MoU with Centre for Bioscience and Nanoscience Research, Coimbatore , Tamil Nadu on 03-06-2019.
- Organized Association Valedictory Function and Guest Lecture on “MICROBE ASSOCIATED MOLECULAR PATTERN (MAMP) SIGNALING IN PLANT IMMUNITY” on 27-02-19. Chief Guest: Dr.Vidhyasekaran, FNA. Former Director TNAU.
- Organized Workshop on “Bioinformatics” on 22-02-2019. Resource Person: Dr. Shanthipriya, Assistant professor, Department of Microbiology, CMS college of science and commerce.
- Organized Micro Meet 2019 National conference on “Innovative Approaches in Biosciences” on 21.02.19.
Dr.U.C.Jaleel, Principal Scientist, OSPF NIAS Drug Discovery Lab, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Indian Institute of Science Campus, Bangalore.
Dr.Murugadas V,Scientist, Microbiology, Fermentation and Biotech Division, Central Institute of Fisheries Technology.
- Organized Workshop on “Microbiological Staining Techniques” for Biochemistry and Biotechnology students on 15-02-2019, 10.30 AM. Resource Person: Dr.M.Thangavel. Venue : Microbiology lab1.
- Organized “Micro Almesse” food fest on 14-02-19. Venue: GF Block.
- Organized Rally on Helmet Awareness on 09-02-19. Venue: Ettimadai.
- Organized Rally on Plastic Awareness on 08-02-19. Venue: K.G. Chavadi.
- Organized Rally on road safety conducted on 08-02-19. Venue: Velanthavalam Road.
- Organized Guest lecture on “APPLICATIONS OF NANOBIOTECHNOLOGY
AND DST-STEP FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES” on 11-01-2019, 10.30 AM. Resource Person: Dr. S. P. Suriyaraj, Scientific Officer in Nanotechnology, PSG – Science & Technology Entrepreneurial Park (PSG – STEP), PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore.
- Organized Association Inaugural Function and Special Address on “Next Generation Sequencing and its Applications in Microbial Science” on 12-09-2018, 10.30 AM. Chief Guest: Dr. M. Modhumita Dasgupta, Scientist-F, IFGTB, Coimbatore.
- Micromeet ’18 – National Conference on Innovative Approaches in Biosciences is organised on 21st Feb.,2018. Dr Murali Gopal, Principal Scientist, Central Plantation Crop Research Institute, Kasargod will deliver the Inaugural Address. Dr T R Krishnan, Vice- Chairman, SNGET will preside over the programme.
- Organized a food festival “Micro Almesse” on 10.01.2018. The Food fest was conducted to generate fund for Charity purpose. More than 900 students and staff participated in the program. Entertainments like Mehandi, Games, Selfie spot and Horror room were also conducted.
- Microbiology Association was Inaugurated on 08.08.2017. Dr. P. Lakshmanaperumalsamy, Emeritus Professor,
Department of Environmental Sciences, Bharathiar University, elaborated the “Scope & Opportunities for
Microbiologists” and created awareness among the microbiology students regarding the various roles of microbiologists in the
fields like Food Microbiology, Industrial Microbiology, Medical Microbiology, Marine Microbiology.
Shri.K.A. Pankaj Kumar, Joint Secretary, SNGET presided over the function and Dr. K.V. Surendran, Principal offered his felicitations.
- Organized a “Blood Group Identification Camp” on 22.06.2017 at Government School, Chaavadi Pudhur.The Blood group
of the school children and teachers were identified and reported.
- The Department of Microbiology conducted an Awareness Rally on “Dengue Fever” on 21.06.2017. Dr. K. V. Surendran, Principal presided over the function. The students and staff members created awareness among the public in Chavadi pudur by explaining the sources and control measures to prevent Dengue fever. Dr. M. Thangavel, Head, Department of Microbiology, addressed the school children and created awareness at Government School, Chavadi pudur, Coimbatore.
- The Microbiology Association activities for the academic year 2016- 2017 was inaugurated on 12thAugust 2016 by Dr. C Kunhikannan, Scientist E, IFGTB, Coimbatore
- Final year UG and PG students visited medical exhibition MEDISCENE ‘16 on 17th June 2016 organized by Coimbatore Medical college, Coimbatore.
- A Guest lecture on ‘’Biological control on crop pest – Sugarcane Prospective’’ was delivered by Dr. J. Srikanth, Principal Scientist, Entomology Section, Sugarcane Breeding Institute on 18th August 2016.
- As a mark of World Humanitarian day, on 19th August 2016, Dr. I Maria Yesuraja, Professor and Head, Dept. of Social Work, delivered a special lecture on “Humanitarainiasm’’
- Mr. Balaji, Director, Thaavaram Agro Foundation, Coimbatore delivered a lecture on ‘’Vaccine Production’’ on 7th September 2016.
- To build Self-confidence and Entrepreneur skill among students, the Department organized “Micro Almesse” a fund raising programme to help the needy on 8th September 2016.
- The Department Organized a guest lecture on “Organ Transplantation”. The importance of organ transplantation was explained by Mr. Rajesh, Royal College of Nursing, Coimbatore
- Dr. S. Sudha, Associate Professor & Head, Department of Microbiology, Dr. NGP Arts and Science College, Coimbatore, served as a resource person on 30th December 2017 and delivered a seminar on “Mighty Microbes”.
- The Department organized a seminar on “Awareness of road safety” delivered by Mr. Kamala Kannanformer Traffic warden and a live demo on “How to make traffic free driving” was explained by Mr. Chandrasekar, Ambal Auto Maruthi driving school On 10th March 2017, forenoon session .
- On 10th March 2017, afternoon session First aid on road accidents – a demo was given by Dr. Amareswar Reddy, Professor, Emergency Medicine Department, PSG hospitals, Coimbatore
- As a highlighting feature, Department organized an International Seminar on “Research prospects of Microbiology in Netherland” on 20th February 2017. Dr. Kalpana Ethiraj, CEO, Amsterdam, Netherland delivered a special lecture. Dr. M. Padmanabhan, Course Director, IAS Academy, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore delivered a special lecture on “Career Opportunities in Central and State services”.
- As an Extension Activity, Department organized an Awareness programme, on “Safety measures to prevent Malaria, Dengue and Swine flu” in K.G. Chavadi Village in the month of January and February, 2017.
- In association with Women empowerment cell of SNGC, the Department of Microbiology conducted a rally on Gender Equality on 8th March 2017.
- Organized Association Valedictory Function and Guest Lecture on “MICROBE ASSOCIATED MOLECULAR PATTERN (MAMP) SIGNALING IN PLANT IMMUNITY” on 27-02-19. Chief Guest: Dr.Vidhyasekaran, FNA. Former Director TNAU.