Department : Psychology
Year of Establishment : 2017
Courses offered : B.Sc Psychology
Value Added Courses
- Sign Language, Deaf Leaders Foundation, Coimbatore.
- Certificate in Guidance, IGNOU.
Click to View Department Activities 2019 – 2020
Click to View Department Activities 2018 – 2019
Click to View Department Activities 2017 – 2018
Click to View Bharathiar University Syllabus
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile : 9842289319
Click here to know more about Dr. G. K. Sellakumar
Email : email@example.com
Mobile : 9600557352
Click here to know more about Ms. Gayathri A
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile : 8248688335
Click here to know more about Ms. R. Kayathiri
Email : email@example.com
Mobile : 9994692239
Click here to know more about Mr. S. Dhanraj
UNIVERSITY RANK HOLDERS 2022
UNIVERSITY RANK HOLDERS 2021
UNIVERSITY RANK HOLDERS 2020
|S. No.||Rank||Name of the Student||Course||Batch|
|1||I||Raisha Fathima M||B.Sc. Psychology||2017 – 2020|
|2||II||Gayathry V||B.Sc. Psychology||2017 – 2020|
|3||I||Anjali Venugopal||B.Sc. Psychology||2018 – 2021|
|4||III||Sneha. K||B.Sc. Psychology||2018 – 2021|
|5||IV||Thasneema. C. A||B.Sc. Psychology||2018 – 2021|
|6||I||U. Noorul Nasrat||B.Sc. Psychology||2019 – 2022|
|7||VII||Anjana. M.B||B.Sc. Psychology||2019 – 2022|
|8||VIII||Rubela. J||B.Sc. Psychology||2019 – 2022|
|9||IX||Divyaasvarrubaa . P||B.Sc. Psychology||2019 – 2022|
- The Department of Psychology and Association of Psychology organized Valedictory Ceremony and Special Seminar on “Environmental Sustainability – Role and Responsibility of future Generation” on 05-04-2023, at 11.00AM. The Resource of the day was Dr. M. Dineshkumar, Environmental Consultant, Eco Designers – an Environmental Consultancy, Gopichettipalayam, Erode. He spoke about younger generation and their attitudes towards the Environment. He explained the role of the students in protecting one’s own surroundings and environment. He also showed a Short films regarding Save water, Avoid Plastics and Save Trees.
- In Connection with World Women’s Day Celebration 2023 the Department of Psychology organized an Extension Activity entitled “Awareness on Postpartum Depression among Female Adults” on 09-03-2023at 1.30PM in Psychology Laboratory conducted by III B.Sc Psychology Students. Final year psychology students conducted pre-test which helps to assess the knowledge regarding postpartum depression. Students given Psycho-education on Postpartum Depression to the female participants.
- Department of Psychology and Association of Psychology organized the Student Development Program on “Role of Psychologists in Prison and Correctional Administration” on 02-03-2023 at 11.00AM The Resource Person of the day was Prof. R. Kanagaraj, Professor in Psychology, Academy of Prison and Correctional Administration, Thorapadi, Vellore. He explained about Correctional Psychology and its field of psychologist role at prisons. Psychologist or Correctional Officers have to provide regular counselling and analyze the prisoners mental health conditions by using psychological tests, correctional programs to be conducted at prison due to change in the prisoners attitude and behavior and their report should be collected
- Department of Psychology and Association of Psychology organized Faculty Development Program on ”Work Life Balance” on 20-01-2023 at 1.30PM. The Resource person of the day was Rtn. R.J. Haribabu, Founder & Managing Director, Heartfulness Counselling Center, Tiruppur. The Resource Person started the session with warm up activities and faculty members were split into groups and various activities related to emotion and concentration was done. He explained about different factors that cause imbalance between work and life. He also highlighted about the role of stress & it’s impact in work and personal life.
- Department of Psychology and Association of Psychology organized an Industrial Visit for III B.Sc Psychology Students at Global Institute of Behaviour Technologies (A Centre for Mental Health Solutions) on 14-11-2022. Rtn MPHF. P P. Prof. Dr. Vedagiri Ganesan was handled the session on behavioural therapies. He explained about the importance of using reinforcement and punishment for ceasing negative behaviours. He motivated the students to apply the psychological principles in day-to-day life.
- On Observation of World Mental Health Day the Department of Psychology and Association of Psychology organized Psyche Fiesta 2022 (An Awareness Exhibition) on 13-10-2022 at 10.00 AM. The Chief Guest of the day was Dr. M. Ilangovan, Principal, SNGC, who Inaugurated and presided over the program. Psychology students were enthusiastically conducted the experiment and explained about the purpose of using various Psychometric tools to college and school students. Dr. G. K. Sellakumar, Associate Professor & Head, Department of Psychology has given Orientation on “Basics of Psychology” to the School Students.
- Department of Psychology and Association of Psychology organized Inaugural Ceremony on 29-09-2022, at 10.30 AM. The Chief Guest of the day was Dr. T. Jothimani, Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology (Aided), PSG College of Arts & Science, Coimbatore. She addressed a Special Talk on “Mental Health and Well Being”. She spoke about Happiness, emphasized to Practice “SMILE” A Concept that S – Self Awareness, M Motivation, I – Interpersonal Relationships, L – Love & Affection, E – Emotional Intelligence. It was demonstrated by activities through which students actively participated and benefited.
- In Connection with Sree Narayana Guru Commemorative Lecture Series, Department of Psychology organized Student Development Program titled on “Tamilil Kanavu Noolgalum Freudin kanavugalin vilakamum oru paarvai” on 22-08-2022 at 10.30AM by Dr. S. Abinash Kumar, Assistant Professor, Department of Tamil (Unaided), Kongunadu Arts & Science College, Mettupalayam Road, Coimbatore. During the Session, he explained the ancient writings about dreams in tamil literature like Thirukkural, and various books based on dreams and also pinpointed how it is related to the concepts given by Sigmund Freud in his book Interpretation of Dream.
- In Connection with 75th Independence Day Celebration and Nan Mudhalvan Scheme the Department of Psychology organized “Skill Assessment Program” for the students of Government Hr. Secondary School, Madukkarai Market, Coimbatore on 10-08-2022 at 11.00AM. Students of third year and Second year imparted the skill assessment among school students by administering the psychological inventories such as Multiple Intelligence Inventory & Self Directed Search.
- In Connection with Nasa Mukt Bharat Abhiyaan (NMBA) and Department of Psychology organized an Awareness Programs on 04-08-2022.
Event 1-“Awareness Campaign in Public Transport on SAY NO TO DRUGS.
Event 2 -“Video Presentation on Drug Awareness” to School Students from Government High School, K.G.Chavadi.
Event 3 – “Awareness Campaign on Alcohol & Drug Abuse” to Public at K.G.Chavadi.
Event 4 – “Video Making on Dealing with Addiction” Panel Discussion on “SAY NO TO DRUGS” to School Students from Government High School, K.G.Chavadi.
- The Department of Psychology and Association of Psychology organized the Guest Lecture Program on “Career Opportunities in Psychology”, on 11-06-2022 at 10.30 AM. The Resource Person is Dr. A. Shanmuga Sundaram, Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology, Government Arts College, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu. He has explained various fields of Psychology and Job Opportunities in our country and abroad. Particularly he proposed to Establish Rehabilitation Centre, to Write Competitive Exams in State and Central Government, to become an Occupational Therapist in various Organizations, Clinical Psychologist in Mental Health Hospitals, Counselling & Child Psychologist will be worked in various Clinics, School and or Colleges.
- The Department of Psychology and Association of Psychology is organized the Student Development Program on 28th March 2022. The Program Titled on “Understanding Psychological Testing and Assessment” through Google Meet Platform at 11.00AM. The Resource Person was Dr. Rajyalakshmi Pithani, Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology, St. Joseph’s College for Women, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. The Presentation has covered major aspects Psychological Testing & Assessment. She has explained Administering, Scoring and Interpreting to the various Verbal & Performance Test, then Uses of Personality Test specifically WAIS, Rorschach Inkblot Test and she has given Evaluation Techniques also. And she intimated, Whether the uses and importance of Informed consent form. Students are highly benefited from this Program.
- The Department of Psychology & First Aid, Health Watch and Counselling Club jointly organized an Online Awareness Talk on, “Emergency and First Aid Management” on 30.11.2021. Dr.C.Feula Esther Thangam, Principal, Nehru College of Nursing and Research Institute, acted as a Resource Person and delivered a talk on Emergency and First Aid Management to the students. In her address, she highlighted that the importance of Emergency and significance of first Aid Management. She also enlightened the students about the Do’s and Don’t’s for First Aid Treatment and different treatment techniques to be followed during various dangerous situations.
- The Department of Psychology organized a 5 Days National Level Professional Development Program in Connection with World Mental Health Day 2021.
Day 5: Organized “Mental Health Professionals Experts Lecture” on 11-10-2021, at 10 .00 AM through google meet platform. Three Professional Experts have interacted with Valued Information about Mental Health. Dr. Prakash, P, MBA, Ph.D.(N)., Assistant Professor, Psychiatric Nursing Department, College of Nursing, Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences, Puducherry. His topics on “Common Mental Health Problems among College Students and Role of Psychiatric Nurse in Mental Health Promotion”. Dr. Radhika Taroor, Ph.D., Associate Professor in Behavioural Sciences and Student Counsellor, Department of General Education, Gulf Medical University, Ajman, UAE. Her topics on “Covid-19 Impact on Mental Health”. Mr. Melbin Baby P. B, MSW., MBA., M.Sc., B.Ed., Medical Social Worker and Special Educator, Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences. His topics on “Mental Health – A Medical Social Worker’s Perspective and Role”.
Day 4: Organized Slogan Writing Competition on “Raising Awareness on Mental Health”, Essay Writing Competition on “Students Mental Health well Being During Covid – 19 Pandemic”, “Mental Health in an Unequal world”, and “Stomp out of Stigma”, and Poster Making Competition on ”Mental Health in An Unequal world”, “Stomp out of Stigma”, and “Mental Health in Youth’s Hand”, 10-10-2021.
Day 3: A Workshop on “Behaviour Therapy and Self Help for Anxiety Management During Covid – 19 Pandemic Hands on Experience” on 09-10-2021 at 11.00AM, through Google Meet Platform. The Resource Person is Dr. K. Gopukumar, Neuro – Psychologist, Bangalore Neuro Centre, Bangalore.
Day 2: The Panel Discussion on “Issues and Barriers in the Mental Health Services” on 08-10-2021, at 11.00AM. through Google Meet Platform. The Resource Person is Dr. D.V. Nithyanandan, Assistant Professor (Stage – II) Department of Psychology, Periyar University, Salem, TN, India.
Day 1: An Introductory Awareness Webinar on “Equality in Mental Health”, 07-10-2021, at 11.00 am, through Google Meet Platform. The Resource Person is Mrs. Anitha. J., M.Phil (Clinical Psychologist), TN Prison & Correctional Services, Vellore.
- In connection Sree Narayana Guru Commemorative Lecture Series – Day 9, the Department of Psychology organized a Webinar on “Work Life Balance: A Tool to Manage Stress in Our Daily Life”, on 02-09-2021 at 3.00PM. The Resource Person, Dr. S. Radhakrishnan Psychologist & Corporate Trainer, SKYTRAC, Coimbatore. He explained the how stress and other maladaptive elements, within and outside the individual, develop imbalance or psychopathological condition by giving an example of virus infecting computer system. We can remove the imbalance factors such as Internal Factor, External Factor and Personal Factor. He stated that “balance life is equal to stress free and healthy as well as happy life”. So the human unconscious mind is very powerful, we should engage the positive thought in our mind while we never feel imbalanced life. He also explained the strategies to restore balance in life. Teachers, Psychology Aspirants and other professionals were educated to tackle the issues of imbalance in life.
- The Department of Psychology organized the National Level Webinar on “Role of Teachers in Prevention of Crime: A Correctional Psychological Approach”, on 14-08-2021. through Google Meet Platform at 3.00PM. The Resource Person is Dr. U. Baskaran, Psychologist, Tamilnadu Jail Services, Central Prison, Vellore. His Psychological Approaches as a Teachers Role is highly valuable for studying students, those who have facing different problem with students nature of life. So Teacher wants to know what the concept of Crime and Punishment are. Appropriate Reinforcement as to be developed by the students mental life. His Aspirational words highly benefited for all Participants.
- The Department of Psychology and Department of Social Work, Sree Narayana Guru College jointly organized National Level Webinar on “Social Resilience: A Way out of Pandemic Crisis” on 26.06.2021. The Resource person of the day was Dr. S. Sampathkumar, Professor and Head, Department of Sociology and Population Studies, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore. He spoke about Social Resilience is the ability of a human community to cope with and adapt to stressors such as Social, Political, Environmental or Economic Change.
- Department of Psychology and Social Work jointly organized an International Workshop on “Moving from Student life to Corporate Life” on April 30th 2021. Ms.Uma Ranganathan Ryan, Director-Talent Development, Rudolph and Sletten, San Francisco, USA served as resource person. The focus group of participants were final year out going students of under graduation and post-graduation of any discipline. Final year is a transition period from student hood to employment. Preparing students to face challenges and skills that require to fulfill corporate expectations. The present workshop focused to impart knowledge and skills necessary for students who aspire to do higher studies or work both in India and abroad. The skills and behavior characteristics that require meet those standards are basic etiquettes, communication skills, time management, goal setting, public speaking and presentation skills. Theoretical and practical ideas with corporate culture and expectations are imparted with group activities.
- The Department of Psychology, Sree Narayana Guru College conducted an extension activity on “Knowledge, Attitude and Practice on Covid -19 and Vaccination among Sanitary workers” in Sree Narayana Guru College, K.G.Chavadi, Coimbatore on 29-03-2021. Students from III B.Sc. Psychology have exchanged the knowledge and practice against Corona Virus and its vaccination among sanitary workers in our college campus. Students assessed the level of knowledge and attitude on COVID-19 and rendered the health education and practice of vaccination as a service and provided the face masks and hand sanitizers to the participants.
- Department of Psychology organized Sree Narayana Guru Endowment Lecture on “Harmony With Self And Significant Others” on 16-02-2021, 2.00 PM. Resource Person: Dr. K. Jayanthi Rani, Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology, Ethiraj College for Women, Chennai. The Resource Person shared knowledge on self, self harmony and the importance of self harmony in social relationship. Further, she emphasized self assertiveness and self efficacy as the two major tools to build harmonious self and harmonious relationship with significant others. And also she provided various tips to strengthen self and better relationship with social members by applying forgiveness, atonement and assertiveness.
- Department of Psychology organized Webinar on Management of Emotional Problems by Applying Behaviour Modification Techniques on 08-01-2021, 11.00 AM. Resource Person: Ms. T. Prathibha, Professor& Psychologist, JKKM College of Paramedical Sciences, Erode. The Resource Person addressed various emotional problems like depression, phobia, anxiety, etc. faced by children, woman& adolescents. She discussed about various behaviour modification techniques applied to manage emotions and emotional problems. She demonstrated the Jacobson’s Progressive Relaxation technique to the participants. Participants from various colleges have enthusiastically participated and involved in live demonstration.
- In connection with the World Mental Health Day2020, the Department of Psychology organized a Webinar on “Mental Health of Adolescent during COVID’19” on 10-10-2020. Resource Person: Dr. K. Mangayarkarasi, Assistant Professor, Department of Women’s Studies, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore. The Resource Person delivered a lecture on “Mental Health of Adolescent”. She highlighted the importance of gender difference in mental health. She presented the reasons for gender difference based on various research evidences. She spoke about the mental state that found among men& women during COVID’19 pandemic. She provided ideas to maintain a good mental health in this critical situation.
- Department of Psychology organized the Inauguration ceremony of “Association of Psychology” on 29-09-2020. Chief Guest: Ms. Karthikayani Murugan, Clinical Psychologist, KMCH, Coimbatore. The Chief Guest delivered a guest lecture on “Technology Addiction”. She highlighted the importance of technology in our day to day life. She presented the reasons for technology also becoming a bane during these uncertain times of COVID’19 pandemic. She spoke about the various reasons for technology becoming an addiction based on a research articles and theories. She provided ways to have a minimalistic use of technology. She spoke about different therapies to treat addiction due to technology.
- Department of Psychology and First Aid, Health Watch& Counseling Cell jointly organized a Webinar on “Mindfulness through Mandala” on 07-09-2020, 11.00AM. Resource Person: Ms. Yamini Gowda, Psychologist, Mangalore, Karnataka. The resource person spoke about the mandala art and how it is beneficial for our mind. It is one of the techniques of mindfulness meaning – here and now experience. The resource person also taught the techniques to draw the mandala and more than 80 participants actively participated in the same and also shared their experience after the drawing.
- Department of Psychology and Women’s Empowerment Cell jointly organized Webinar on “Changing negative into positive mental health during quarantine days” on 29-05-2020, 11.00 AM. Resource Person: Mr. J. Jerus Albert Britto, Guest Lecturer & Counselling Psychologist, PG & Research Department of Psychology, Government Arts College, Coimbatore.
- Department of Psychology & Women’s Empowerment Cell jointly organized Student Development Program on “Relationship Enrichment” on 19-05-2020, 11 AM. Resource Person: Ms. Tharanya Sethupathy, Counselling Psychologist, Ms Chellamuthu Trust and Research Foundation.
- Webinar on “Reboot2020- How to manage your Mind, Body & Emotions during lockdown on 16-05-2020, 11 AM. Resource Person: Dr. Mohanakrishnan Raman, Managing Director, Stepup Strategic Consulting Services Pvt. Ltd, Mysore.
- Department of Psychology organized an Essay writing competition – Spill the Words on “Mental Health during the Pandemic- COVID’19”on 24-04-2020.
- The 1st ,2nd & 3rd year students of the Department of Psychology visited Assisi Snehalaya, Coimbatore on the 09-03-2020. The students interacted with the patients, spent quality time with them by engaging them in fun activities. The students donated daily utility items to the special home as a part of support service for the special home.
- Valedictory Ceremony & Guest Lecture on “Cognitive Assessment – Train Your Brain” on 02-03-2020, 10.30 AM. Chief Guest: Dr. Gopukumar Kumarpillai, Bangalore Neuro Centre, Bangalore addressed the students on the characteristics of people with different brain dominance. He spoke about the various neuropsychological disorders like alzheimer’s, dementia and their symptoms. He taught the students about the different neuropsychological tests that could be administered on the patients and explained the different testing procedures.
- Department of Psychology & First aid, Health Watch and Counseling Cell jointly organized Guest Lecture on “Suicide Prevention” on 20-02-2020, 1.30PM. Resource Person: Mrs. Hema V, Clinical Psychologist & Member, Tamil Nadu Association of Clinical Psychologist, Coimbatore. The Resource person gave prime importance in identifying the symptoms of individuals who are vulnerable to suicidal attempts. She bestowed importance on the peers, family and the society in order to help the individuals develop coping mechanisms like developing self-discipline, self- esteem and self-confidence. She also mentioned about the different techniques that could be used to develop good relationships. She spoke about the different community services that could be rendered to individuals to prevent suicide.
- The Department of Psychology & First aid, Health Watch and Counseling Cell jointly conducted an Extension Activity on “Transformation of Knowledge and Practice on Psycho- Social Interventions Towards Students” on 18-02-2020, 10 AM. Venue: Government High School, K. G. Chavadi.
- Organized “Career Orientation Programme” on 31-01-2020, 2 PM. Resource Person: Dr. I. Maria Yesuraja, Professor & Head, Department of Social Work, Sree Narayana Guru College. Venue: Smart Classroom II. The session imparted knowledge to the students regarding the various career opportunities that are available in the field of social work.
- Observation of National Girl Child Day – An Awareness Program on “Psychophysical Well-being” on 24-01-2020, 1.30PM. Venue: Government High School, K.G. Chavadi. An awareness session was conduced in which all the associated topics related to menstruation were explained to adolescent girl students like what is menstruation, how are the periods calculated, physical problems faced by girls during periods and importance of maintaining hygiene. Traditional myths and misconception regarding the menstruation were discussed. FAQs related to Psycho-physical well-being during Menstruation were answered by the facilitators.
- Two Day National Seminar on “Purposeful Living by Awakening Inner Potential” on 10-01-2020 & 11-01-2020, 10 AM. Resource Person: Dr. K. Purandaran, Director, Centre for Human Growth, Former Programme Manager, Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Mumbai delivered the key note address and gave a brief about the topic. He handled the session by interacting with participants and giving theoretical knowledge with exercises which included finding purpose in life by sourcing inner power and self-awareness, knowing and transcending fear, managing fear, assertiveness training, managing interpersonal conflict, managing time effectively and resilience training.
- Department of Psychology organized a poster presentation competition in connection with the World Mental Health Day on 15-10-2019, 1.30 PM.
- Department of Psychology Organized International Day of Sign Language Celebration on 03-10-2019, 11.30 AM. Dr. M. Ilangovan, Principal, presided over the function.
- Department of Psychology Organized a Guest Lecture on “Dynamics behind Motivation & Leadership” on 01-10-2019, 10.30AM. Resource Person: Mr. Ashwanth Kanna V, Assistant Professor& Head, Department of Psychology, Sree Saraswathi Thyagaraja College, Pollachi.
- On Account of World Alzheimer’s Day (21st of September 2019), the Department of Psychology, Sree Narayana Guru College, conducted an Awareness program on Alzheimer’s disease among the people of C.G.Pudur, Coimbatore. The causes and the risk factors of the disease were spoken on and the people were also educated on handling individuals suffering from Alzheimer’s disease.
- The 2nd and 3rd year students of the Department of Psychology visited Cheshire homes for Mentally Ill and Mentally Retardation, Coimbatore on the 30-07-2019. The students interacted with the patients, spent quality time with them by engaging them in fun activities. The students donated daily utility items to the special home as a part of support service for the special home.
- Organized Silver Jubilee Commemorative Lecture Series Lecture on “Advances in Behavioral Technology ” on 26-07-2019, 10 AM. Chief Guest: Prof. Vedagiri Ganesan, Ex. Professor & Head, Department of Psychology, Bharathiar University, Cbe. Director, Global Institute of Behavior Technology, Cbe. Venue: Conference Hall.
- Organized Inauguration on 13-07-2019, 10 AM. Chief Guest: Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, Director, Mind Management Trainer, Life & Career Success Skill Trainer, Skills Training Centre (SKITRAC), Coimbatore. Venue: Conference Hall.
- MOU Signed with Deaf Leaders Foundation for Value Added Course on “Sign Language” on 04-06-2019.
- Organized One Day Seminar on “Dealing with children and careers in psychology” on 27-02-2019, 10.30 AM. Resource Person(s): Dr. K. Sandhya Kaveri, Principal, Kateel Ashok Pai Memorial Institute, Shimmoga, Karnataka and Ms. K. T. Swetha, Psychologist and Guest Faculty, Kateel Ashok Pai Memorial Institute, Shimmoga, Karnataka.
- Organized Visit to WVS Special School, CBE on 11-02-2019. All the students are visited the school and interacted with the school children and observed their problems.
- Organized an Intradepartmental Essay and Poem Writing Competition in connection with World Mental Health Day on 10-10-2018, 1.30 PM.
- Guest lecture on “Personality & Personality Disorders” on 26-09-2018, 1.30 PM. Resource person: Mr.J. Jerus Albert Britto, Guest Lecturer & Counseling Psychologist, Government Arts College, Coimbatore.
- Inaugural function and Guest Lecture on “Recent trends in Psychology and Psychiatry” on 10-08-2018, 2 PM. Resource Person: Dr. B. Ravi Shankar, Psychiatrist, Krishna Nursing Home, Cbe.
- The inauguration was held on 18.08.2017 at 10.30 am. Chief Guest of the programme was Mr.Jeladharan.S, Counselor Trainer, PSGR Krishnammal College, Coimbatore. Dr.T.R.Krishnan, Vice Chairman , SNGET presided over the function. Dr.K.V.Surendran, Principal offered felicitation.